Coconut is one of my favorite superfoods. This stone fruit contains high amounts of antioxidants and possesses antiviral properties. Coconut is also loaded with vitamins and minerals, but my favorite coconut aspect is the fat profile. Coconut is high in medium-chain triglycerides (MCT). These fats are 6-12 carbons in length and are the shortest chain fat you can consume. Short-chain fatty acids (SCFA) are only manufactured in the gut as bacteria ferment fiber. MCTs are shipped directly to the liver and converted immediately to ketones. Adding these ice cubes to your smoothie is an excellent way to increase healthy fat consumption, whether you practice ketosis or just looking for a boost to your smoothies.
- 2 cups of raw walnuts
- ½ cup of unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 cup of water
- 8 ounces of Max Keto MCT
- Place walnuts and coconut flakes in a blender, and pulse about 10 times for 1-2 seconds, or until the nut mixture should be finely ground.
- Add water and MCT and blend until the mixture is creamy.
- Fill two 16-well standard ice trays with mixture and freeze for 6 hours.
- Add 1-2 cubes to your favorite smoothie.