The magical holiday season is upon us, which means get-togethers with friends, family, and office holiday parties. Most social get-togethers during this season include the consumption of libations. Is alcohol a part of the advanced or core plan eating strategies? Absolutely not, but many of us have tried to be the “good one” at the party and we soon succumb to the urge to consume. I will partake in a libation or two during this season that also includes the celebration of my 30th birthday.
I despise any type of hangover or decrease in my performance the day after partaking in alcohol. I have tried the old-school method of consuming a glass of water for every adult beverage, but that only seems to help minimally. I have over the years developed a routine that has the potential to make you bulletproof to hangovers.
Why do we get hungover in the first place?
We commonly believe that hangovers are due to dehydration and that is only one part of the puzzle.
- Alcohol shuts down the secretion of antidiuretic hormone (ADH) by the pituitary gland, and which causes you to retain less water and use the bathroom frequently. When the alcohol wears off, ADH rebounds, causing fluid retention, swollen hands, a puffy face, and headaches from increased blood pressure.
- Blood pressure is increased from the increased levels of renin and aldosterone secreted by the kidneys. This increases vasopressin levels, which stimulates sodium retention and potassium loss, and sends your body’s electrolyte balance on a ride of turmoil.
- Cortisol works with aldosterone to balance electrolyte levels, so now your body is producing increased cortisol. This causes your liver to produce sugar for energy from amino acids. Then as your blood sugar rises, the pancreas has to secrete insulin, and now your liver and pancreas are subject to increased stress.
- To metabolize alcohol, your liver has to convert ethanol into acetaldehyde. This increases thromboxane production, which constricts blood vessels, and clots form from platelets sticking together. Thromboxane also decreases natural killer cells, so your immune system is hindered, and your body is sent into a similar state as if exposed to a virus, including nausea, headaches, and diarrhea.
- Melatonin is decreased, and sleep quality is reduced for subsequent nights after binging.
How to become resistant to hangovers:
Prep before the Party
- Three days before the party, increase your amount of sleep and take power naps throughout the day. Also, protect your mitochondria by only consuming Advanced Plan-friendly meals.
- In the morning, the day of the party, get in a session of Max T3. This helps to improve your blood sugar response to alcohol and increases protective antioxidants.
- As a post-workout meal, consume eggs to increase your liver’s choline stores damaged while drinking.
- 1-2 hours before the party begins, consume a teaspoon of extra-virgin olive oil, coconut oil, and extra-virgin avocado oil. The polyphenols in the olive and avocado oils and the vitamin E in coconut oil protect against alcohol-induced oxidative stress.
- Before arriving at the party, take 6 capsules of Max Cleanse, 4 capsules of Max Living Magnesium Glycinate, and 2 capsules of Max Living Daily Defense. This will give your body an extra boost of protection.
During the party
- Try to limit alcohol consumption. My goal is to only consume 2-4 drinks. Whatever you set your limit at making sure you are doing your best to remain disciplined.
- Only consume the highest quality options. My go-to choices are:
- Holiday Riva Stout
- Biodynamic or organic wine
- Gin, vodka, or tequila mixed with club soda and lime
- Add ¼ teaspoon of Max Keto Electrolytes to every glass of water consumed.
- Try to stay active. Get up and dance, play games, or be the weirdo doing air squats after using the bathroom.
- Consume 8 ounces of water with ¼ teaspoon of Max Keto Electrolytes
- Take 4 capsules of Max Cleanse, 2 capsules of Max Living Magnesium Glycinate, and 2 capsules of Max Living Sleep and Mood Formula
- Consume 24 ounces of water with ¼ teaspoon of Max Keto Electrolytes
- Go on a fast 30-minute walk in the sunshine.
- Extend your fasted period as long as you can. Antidiuretic hormone secretion