In 2015 my wife Samantha read “The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing” by Marie Kondo. After reading this book, we embraced a minimalist lifestyle and decluttered our home. The Marie Kondo method includes going through each room of your house, empty everything from storage, and then pick up an item and ask if this item brings you joy. If you have to think about it, the thing immediately goes into the give-away pile.
While going through this process, you come to the harsh reality that you have accumulated massive amounts of junk. If you practice this method annually, you will be shocked by the number of things a modern human gets over a year. Many people practice spring cleaning and perform a thorough cleaning of neglected spaces of homes while taking trips to Goodwill to be purged of accumulated junk.
Much like modern humans readily accumulate material junk through Amazon deliveries, our bodies accumulate waste from the environment and require regular detoxification practices. The signs and symptoms of toxicity are not as evident as a cluttered home. Toxicity remains silent until a disease is diagnosed in most instances. Then our health-care model will manage the disease instead of addressing the toxic burden. As Benjamin Franklin said, “one ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.”
Effects of toxins
- Mood swings
- Neurological degeneration
- Chronic Sinus Congestion
- Short Term Memory Loss
- Muscle Twitching
- Muscle Pain
- Inability to Lose Weight Despite Diet and Exercise
- Red or Tearing Eyes
- Appetite Swings
- Frequent Urination
- Night Sweats
- Fatigue After Exercise
- Light Sensitivity
- Chronic Fatigue
- Chemical Sensitivities
- Migrating Joint Pain
- Trouble Processing New Information
- Trouble Finding Words (Brain Fog)
- Morning Stiffness
- Non-Restful Sleep
Our bodies are designed to detoxify. The skin, lungs, lymphatic system, colon, liver, and kidneys all work synergistically to eliminate toxins. This detox network was not designed to handle the number of toxins our artificial environment exposes to our bodies. The average person could be exposed to 2.1 million toxins daily. This is why we must first minimize our toxin exposure and second maximize our detoxification system.
Sources of Toxins:
- Medications: Medication is the number one cause of toxicity. It was once hypothesized as cures and is now known as killers, Vioxx, Avandia, hormone replacement therapy, Paxil, tamoxifen, and antidepressants. One hundred eighteen million antidepressants were sold in 2005. The vast majority are dealt with by our children and teenagers. Medications are toxins and produce side effects. Side effects cause suicide, shootings, violence, nausea, insomnia, anxiety, decreased sex drive, fatigue, hormone damage, and headaches. Traditional healthcare practice is treating the side effects of medication with even more toxic medicines. The last thing you would want to give a poisonous person that has symptoms is one more chemical or drug. Every drug downregulates a biological pathway and must be detoxified from the body while using up valuable antioxidants. Medications are slowly killing our bodies.
- Household products: Propylene glycol, a significant ingredient in vaccines, cosmetics, toothpaste, shampoos, deodorants, lotions, and processed foods, have been found to cause kidney and liver damage, abnormal skin cell growth and damaged cell membranes (cancer), and immune and nervous system damage Diethanolamine (DEA) is found in over homes and personal care products such as soaps, lotions, cosmetics, bubble baths, laundry, and dishwashing detergents. DEA is found to produce cancer in animal studies. Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) is a degreaser. It is used in nearly every soap, shampoo, and toothpaste. SLS, Phthalates, and Parabens are xenoestrogens that are linked to kidney damage, liver abnormalities, skin cell growth inhibition, damaged cell membranes, immune system deficiency, and central nervous system depression
- Toxic Cookware: Most have heard the damaging effects of Teflon cookware, but many of us have not switched. PFOA’s that are found in Teflon cause: ADD/ADHD and other childhood development conditions, liver, pancreas, testicular, and mammary gland tumors. Teflon has been found to damage hormones and specifically your thyroid.
- Tap water: The water systems, which reported lead levels exceeding Environmental Protection Agency standards, collectively supply water to 6 million people. About 350 of those systems provide drinking water to schools or daycares. A USA TODAY NETWORK investigation also found at least 180 of the water systems failed to notify consumers about the high lead levels as federal rules require. Even at small doses, lead poses a health threat, especially for pregnant women and young children. Lead can damage growing brains and cause reduced IQs, attention disorders, and other problem behaviors. Infants fed formula made with contaminated tap water face significant risk.
- Heavy metals, mold & biotoxins: The World Health Organization estimates that 10% to 50% of indoor environments in Europe, North America, Australia, India, and Japan have clinically significant mold problems. Mold is linked to asthma, life-threatening infection, memory loss, insomnia, depression, and confusion. Heavy metals that can cause toxicity include lead, mercury, arsenic, cadmium, and chromium. Heavy metals toxicity causes tremors, headaches, infertility, brain fog, anxiety, depression, and deteriorating eye health.
- FOOD: A GMO is the direct manipulation of an organism’s DNA in a laboratory environment. Fifty countries, including France, Germany, and Italy, have restricted GMOs while the US doesn’t even require labeling. Food companies got away saying that GMO foods are safe by doing a 150-day study of rats with no symptoms. However, they knew and covered up that after 150 days, the same study using the same foods and same rats caused them to grow tumors. Approximately 3,000 additives, preservatives, and colorings are FDA approved. These chemicals are associated with: Nervous system disorders, Immune system suppression, Cancer, Diabetes, Reproductive damage, Hormone problems, Asthma, ADHD, Autism, Migraine Headaches, and Developmental delays.
There are many alternatives to toxic products found in stores. The Environmental Working Group (EWG) is doing a lot of work to review products and has resources to find safer household products. You can visit the EWG website https://www.ewg.org/ to find more information or follow the QR code below.
Steps to Detoxification:
- Corrective Chiropractic: The liver is the master detoxification organ. The liver-brain inflammation axis is a vital step in the detoxification process. It has been found that liver function depends on the neural communication pathway of cytokines from the liver to the brain. Cytokine migration to the brain causes excitability that elicits an immune response to detoxify in liver disease cases their change in the migration of the cytokines to the necessary surfaces of the brain. The misalignment or subluxation of vertebrae will cause disorganized communication between the brain and organs. Corrective chiropractic care will increase the communication between the brain and organs to improve liver function.
- Eat real, organic food: Americans spend more on processed foods and sweets than any other food group. 75-80% of processed food in the U.S. contains GMOs. Americans spent $165 billion on fast food in 2010. Follow the Max Living nutrition plans and consume organic fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, eggs, and meats (not processed) free of toxic compounds.
- Fitness: Staying active is essential as you grow older to maintain your independence and vitality. The best way to get out damaging toxins is through sweat. Performing MaxT3 is the most efficient way to sweat. You may also choose to utilize a sauna four times weekly for 20 minutes each day.
- Swap Teflon cookware for ceramic, stoneware, cast iron, and stainless steel.
- Swap plastic food and beverage containers for ones made from glass or stainless steel.
- Purchase household products free of the toxins mentioned.
- Visit Chiropractic Plus to purchase the Max Living Detox System and also receive testing for toxicity.